NPA 7 Discussion

Discussion in 'NPA' started by Braverius, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Braverius

Braverius Bird-Dog Administrator

the can of worms is cracked open

keep it about npa please. at least sort of about npa.

NightLight26 and Stratos like this.
  2. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

YES, A PROPER FORUM FOR DISCUSSION

I swear on my life that even if I am the only person in this thread I will post all my NPA thoughts here instead of Twitter, Twitter is garbage.

Zach you're gonna hate me for using first post on a controversial topic already but I want to say DrFidget's pledge he made in the manager thread is really cool and I respect that. It'd be neat if all the other managers agreed to make some commitment to diversity to stand with him like, say, all nominating a female player for their round 1 draft pick

3. Tikkibikki

Tikkibikki New Member

if your asking to send you dms on twitter please turn on "anyone can message me"
    otherwise only people you follow can

JeanMarc and Lunar like this.
  4. NightLight26

NightLight26 Member

Are gif's an acceptable form of response in this thread.?

5. JeanMarc

JeanMarc Active Member

Is this the place to raise our #DraftSquirrelboyForNPA ?

6. DrFidget

DrFidget Well-Known Member

We haven't discussed anything like that as managers and likely won't. I'm doing it with my picks because it's important to me, but other teams need to be free to make their own picks. I also don't want to steal focus or have people think so and so only got drafted because they're a girl. The ratio from other years sends the message that those players haven't been getting drafted for the same reason. Whether or not it's true doesn't matter, how it looks is discouraging to anyone thinking about signing up if they aren't a dude.

I made my pledge on twitter and in the manager thread and it seems like a number of good players signed up as a direct response to that. So that's heartening. I haven't talked to other teams about it, though the Stars sent me a text showing their support.

That's not to say the rest of the league isn't interested in diversity, we added more managers outside of the US and Europe to hopefully tap into more global talent. I don't want anyone to think I'm calling out the other managers. I appreciate them giving me this position and as long as I have it I'll do what I can to make it enjoyable for everyone.

7. Temple

Temple Member

I for one support #DraftSquirrelboyForNPA once again. Hoping it happens

8. Mr.GX

Mr.GX Well-Known Member

I had lots of fun during NPA 6, so looking forward to it!

jackrah and Therazer456 like this.
  9. Therazer456

Therazer456 Active Member

I second this post ^^^

Mr.GX and jackrah like this.
  10. Stratos

Inspired after seeing a DOU ace nicknamed "Stax" and his banner, small-statured frania decides he wants one. The #1 seeded DOU player even signs up for SPL; however, his hopes of being drafted turn out to be his last when they are brutally squashed by "Sam's VGC friend" EmbCPT. frania vows to surpass EmbC, and so after graduating from middle school, he joins the Hearthome Holy Spirits NPA team—only to find that his sworn rival, EmbC, is now his teammate.

Thanks to his short height, frania struggles to find his role on the team, even with his DOU Circuit dominance. Surprisingly, EmbC has his own problems that only frania can help with, and learning to work together appears to be the only way for the team to be successful. Based on Haruichi Furudate's popular shounen manga of the same name, Haikyuu!! is an exhilarating and emotional pokemon comedy following two determined players as they attempt to patch a heated rivalry in order to make their NPA team the best in Japan.

MajorBowman, Temple, Sam and 6 others like this.
  11. Mindape

Mindape Active Member

^ 10/10 would watch/be a bit part character in that anime.

12. Stratos

After familiarizing myself with this week's NPA drama (which was, I might add, far harder than it needed to be, because of the selfish decision to start a fight on twitter instead of the forums where it's far more accessible to the fans) I figured I'd share my own personal advice for how to deal with getting haxed out of a set. That is: always blame yourself for not playing better, internalize guilt for the loss, and let it feed your depression and make you dread playing this game. Hope this helped! :)

Frania and Mindape like this.
  13. Hibiki

Hibiki Well-Known Member

The moral of the story is, don't subtweet

14. Stratos

I'd just like to give a quick thank you to Brady and DrFidget for beefing in the appropriate NPA weekly thread. It really does make everything cleaner for all parties. Keep up the good work and setting a fine example for the other players in this league.

Maybe if we all block each other on twitter, some good stuff can happen this NPA.

Ezrael, MajorBowman, JeanMarc and 2 others like this.
  15. MajorBowman

MajorBowman Active Member

Hi so recently I've seen some talk in various places re: scheduling NPA matches. Everyone on Monarchs is pretty much in consensus that using TT to schedule our matches is the easiest way, but it feels like every other team thinks otherwise. I feel so strongly about it that I go so far as to refuse to schedule elsewhere unless I'm personal friends with my opponent or there are extenuating circumstances. For example, here are my 4 weeks so far.

Week 1 vs Ralfdude: I posted on his TT wall on Jan 1. He DMed me on twitter the next day, unaware that I had posted on his wall. I would have directed him there, but I was going to be out of town and hard to schedule with so I just stuck to twitter so we could be flexible
    Week 2 vs Kali: I posted on his TT wall on Jan 9. He publicly tweeted at me (not a DM, a tweet) the same day, and I directed him to TT where we scheduled
    Week 3 vs Collin: I'm good friends with Collin so I just messaged him on facebook and we sorted it out there
    Week 4 vs TTT: I posted on his TT wall late last night before noticing that he had DMed me on Twitter earlier in the day. I replied to the DM and directed him to TT, and he posted his reply on my wall instead of as a reply to my post.

I'm not trying to call out or shame any of my opponents, it just so happens that I've had 4 different scheduling experiences so far so it's easy to use them as examples.

The way I see it, the default communication platform for scheduling tournament matches should always always always be the platform on which the tournament is held. NPA is held here on Trainer Tower, so match scheduling should take place on Trainer Tower. If two people want to schedule elsewhere then that's their prerogative, but by doing so they lose any sort of insurance they have when it comes to making claims for inactivity, missed times, etc. Screenshots can be manipulated, stories can get lost in translation (either literally due to language barriers or just by word of mouth, think the telephone game), and situations become needlessly complex. By using the tournament platform the schedule your matches, the tournament host can quite easily see if matches have been scheduled or use forum activity as a metric for player activity should a match not get done. If you expect Zach to go through each unplayed match at the end of the week and ask people for screenshots of Twitter DMs instead of just checking each player's profile here on TT to see what the situation is then you're asking a lot more of him than he signed on for.

I understand that NPA is slightly different in that each player is on a team and has two managers that should be making sure their match gets scheduled and played so we rarely have activity issues, but this is a principle that should naturally apply to any non-live online tournament. For example, I'm currently hosting the Doubles OU Winter Seasonal tournament over on Smogon, a tournament with a 128-man double elimination bracket. For the first two rounds, I have to make sure that 64 matches are properly scheduled, played, and reported. If something goes wrong during any of these steps, I check either the tournament thread or either player's wall to see what's going on. It's not my job to hunt those two players down and hound them for their activity info. It is the players' job to keep the tournament director updated on the status of their match. If the two players schedule elsewhere, they should either post on one of their walls or in the thread so their scheduled time is in a public place and the director can hold them accountable. If I see that a match hasn't been played and there's no information in any of those places, I coin flip the match.

Now I admit fault in my scheduling so far in that I never posted my scheduled times with either Ralfdude or Collin here on the forums so put your pitchforks down. Again I understand that NPA is a slightly different environment than other tournaments, but these principles are still the most effective means of communication since they provide both a way for the players to check their scheduled time should they forget and a way for whoever is in charge to check in on matches that have yet to be played. The only reason I chose to stick to Twitter with Ralfdude was because I knew we needed a way to communicate quickly, and Twitter DMs do happen to be useful for that purpose. If my schedule at the time was more stable, I would have directed him to the forums as I did Kali and TTT. Since I'm already close with Collin and trust that he is able to schedule a time and stick to it, I was much more comfortable using a quicker and easier mode of communication with him (in this case Facebook messenger).

I say all of this not as an attack on any of my opponents or anyone that defaults to other methods of communication for scheduling, but in an attempt to make life easier for everyone involved in NPA. If we use the forums to schedule our matches, it collects all the pertinent information in one place so that tournament organizers, players, managers, and spectators alike can easily find it. It's frankly just crazy to me that people aren't using the tournament's own website, stocked with a very easy way to users to publicly communicate with each other, to schedule their matches. I'm not gonna name drop here but we even had one person DM our manager on Twitter asking for one of our players to open his DMs so they could schedule before even checking TT, where my teammate had already sent a message. That's just ridiculous.

My teammate Stratos wrote an incredibly useful and detailed guide on scheduling over on Smogon a couple years ago, which you can find right here. Obviously not all of the terminology will be the same, but Smogon and TT use the same forum platform so it's almost exactly analogous. I urge you all to give this guide a read if you're uncomfortable with scheduling via forums.

Obviously this is just my opinion and you technically have every right to stick to your guns and mash that tweet button as soon as matchups get posted. In one last attempt to persuade you that Twitter is an inferior scheduling platform, I present the Malie City Monarchs' Official List of Ludicrous Ways to Schedule Your NPA Matches.
    • "Hey can I get your snapchat, emforbes is trying to battle you but he doesn't know your snapchat"
    • "Hey Spurrific tried to match you on Tinder earlier to schedule his match with you but you didn't ever match him"
    • "Hey can I get your address? Jake is trying to send you a notarized letter for your match"
    • "Do you accept carrier pigeon?"
    • "Threw a note in a bottle off the Atlantic coast, please let me know if you got it"
    • "Hey I've got an air strike ready with a schedule request, can I get your longitude and latitude"
    • Twitter

JeanMarc, Level 51, Feis and 10 others like this.
  16. DaWoblefet

DaWoblefet
    Moderator NPA 6 Champion

I second MajorBowman's sentiments. Trainer Tower being the default method of communication for Trainer Tower tournaments is strongly preferred from my perspective. Not everyone has open DMs on Twitter, nor is having a Twitter account required for you to play in NPA. I've personally done all my scheduling with my opponents with the exception of GymNMons directly via PM on Trainer Tower, and I will keep it that way to keep myself organized and ensure I don't have to track down some user on Twitter when their Trainer Tower username is given in the matchup pairings.

MajorBowman likes this.
  17. TTT

TTT Member

Yeah sorry I just figured that people check twitter more consistently than TT and I haven't had a problem using it so far. I do agree with you though

18. Braverius

Braverius Bird-Dog Administrator

I personally do not care where you schedule, just be sure to check TT first and make sure your opponent didn't message you there as it is the default method as mentioned above. It's pretty straightforward: check TT first, if you prefer Twitter send a message there. You should have sent a message to your opponent regardless of whether they messaged you or not by Wednesday, plain and simple, so make sure you check TT by late Wednesday to avoid falling into trouble with activity if you don't see anything anywhere else.

So tl;dr yes the default is TT, no you won't get in trouble for scheduling on Twitter if you are actually exchanging messages with your opponent there, and if you actively ignore your TT inbox and they send you a message here, that's on you, not them.

And if you schedule on flipping snapchat you really need to uninstall

MajorBowman likes this.
  19. DaWoblefet

DaWoblefet
    Moderator NPA 6 Champion

So among the PS staff, there's been general disagreement about the relation of VGC room tours and advertising NPA matches. Right now, there's a general rule inconsistently applied that says we end tours in order to make links to NPA matches more apparent in the chat, because tours cause the text of the chatroom to scroll very quickly, so the link to the game may get lost. However, like I said, this isn't always applied; some staff stop tours only before they've started, some staff will stop tours at any time, and some staff don't stop tours at all. What is consistent, however, is the number of people complaining when a tour is canceled prematurely. Since everyone seems to have their own opinion on the subject, I'd prefer to get a clearer ruling about whether or not we cancel tours to better showcase NPA matches.

Options I've seen discussed:
    • Never end tours; the two are separate, and people will watch NPA if they want to (this seems to forgo the point of advertising the matches)
    • Never end tours, but use /declare to push a notification similar to the one you get when a tournament starts up (some people don't like this because multiple NPA games can lead to a lot of notification "spam")
    • End tours if the tour has not yet started (before matches are being played), and end all subsequent tours that are started accidentally until the NPA match is completed
    • Always end tours to make sure NPA matches receive their proper attention (the average user may not like this)
    Especially because a bunch of tours hosted in the VGC room aren't even VGC-related, I personally would side with the third option, and even partially the fourth option is the tour isn't a VGC tour in the first place. I would like to hear the thoughts of other PS staff (driver+), as those users are the ones with the ability to end tours.

As an aside, the @matches tag in the Trainer Tower Discord channel is intended for things like this as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  20. JZG

JZG Member

I'm personally a fan of the third option and it's mostly what I've been doing when online.