NPA 6 - Finals

Discussion in 'NPA' started by Jenbamo, May 17, 2017.

1. Jenbamo

Jenbamo NPA Commissioner Tournament Host

Congratulations to the Spirits and Monarchs for making it to the finals! Pairings are below. Good luck to both teams.

Monarchs vs Spirits
    Chuppa vs DaWoblefet
    Emforbes vs EMBC
    Harbinger vs 13Yoshi37
    Stratos vs Avatar Fede
    Dane vs Kali
    Spurrific vs DuoMark
    Hibiki vs Euler

2. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

REVENGE TOUR

i'll edit the times sheet into this post in a few hours once ive had time to make it (not that the link ever changes)

here

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    marilli and 000aj like this.
  3. Hibiki

Hibiki Well-Known Member

4. Dane

Dane Well-Known Member

5. EmbC

EmbC Well-Known Member NPA 6 Champion

6. Harbinger

Harbinger Active Member

Spurrific and Stratos like this.
  7. duomark91

duomark91 Member NPA 6 Champion

8. DaWoblefet

DaWoblefet
    Moderator NPA 6 Champion

9. Stratos

playing the deciding game thursday at 7 PM GMT-4, flip my life

10. Zelda

Zelda miho miho mii VGC 2017 World Runner-Up

The winning team and head manager will also be receiving a little bonus prize from me. :)

11. Avatar Fede

Avatar Fede Active Member NPA 6 Champion

12. Stratos

[9:33 PM] a spirit: Stratos, if it makes you feel better
    [9:33 PM] a spirit: we knew your team going in
    [9:33 PM] a spirit: we actually built a hard counterteam

hope you're proud of your stupid win, and i hope whoever saved this replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-581389836 and showed it to my opponent is proud of himself too. guess it was my bad for forgetting to change my custom avatar before i laddered but i know i wouldn't have pulled this bs if the roles were flipped.

Hibiki likes this.
  13. YureeVGC

YureeVGC Member NPA 6 Champion

Assistant managers are human beings too:(

EmbC and Wolfey like this.
  14. Zelda

npa is literally all about researching and counterteaming your opponent lol

15. Braverius

Braverius Bird-Dog Administrator

Well that's kind of poochty. I mean of course it's something you take advantage of if you find, and I think it's overall not a big deal in terms of "integrity", but still has to leave a really awful feeling afterward knowing that you didn't lose because of a blind matchup, but because you were team sniped on ladder.

Hibiki and Zelda like this.
  16. Stratos

so to recap:

nails tells people your secret testing alt = cause enough uproar he has to resign as PS mod
    someone tells you my secret testing alt = use that knowledge to cteam me in finals

?????

Obviously NPA is about researching your opponent, i made this in preparation for my match. But there is a massive difference between looking at someone's match history and public teams and record to counterteam them, and counterteaming them based on the fact that someone leaked their secret team to you the day of the match—a team which i am CONFIDENT did not exist in a single replay on the entirety of pokemon showdown except for that one, because I built it on Tuesday. It's a mistake to take an online tournament seriously if people don't respect that nuance, one which I fortunately won't be making again in the near future. Of course, as I mentioned above, someone on the Spirits definitely understands the difference, but like, is anyone really surprised at this point that that person only cares about ethics when it benefits him?

marilli likes this.
  17. Zelda

Those two things are very different. Nails used a command only available to Moderators, whereas you were caught via information which is available by public measures. Wolfe was only upset about it because it was an abuse of power that regular users don't have access to.

Braverius and EmbC like this.
  18. EmbC

EmbC Well-Known Member NPA 6 Champion

I think this is the perfect opportunity to change the negative environment going on to post my final thoughts on the championships.

First of all, I'd like to thank Jen and everyone who contributed to the organization of this season of NPA. Thanks to you, I was able to experience another amazing series of great BO3 matches and, most importantly, I got to meet more closely some amazing members of the Pokémon Community, while growing as a player myself. Without your dedication, season 6 of NPA wouldn't have been possible, so I really appreciate it.

Now, I would like to congratulate and thank all my teammates for being amazing friends throughout the whole tournament and supporting me through some tough times. You're all probably sick and tired of reading these same words, but NPA really is about getting new friends and winning isn't the only goal. I'm very thankful to have a chat where I can vent, share memes, laugh, trade team ideas and just talk in general with some of the best people I know, and I want you to know that.

I also want to thank all the teams that took part of NPA for being outstanding opponents and providing great matches to both watch and play.

Next, I'd like to make an analysis on how the tournament went.

Overall, I felt like no one outside of NPA really cared about it. I may be wrong on this one, but, from my perspective, the tournament isn't becoming more competitive at all. I know it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously when it was created 6 seasons ago, but I definitely feel like NPA has future as a more competitive event. Obviously, it's not my call to decide which route to take for its future, but I think that, even for the standards of a casual tournament, this is too casual and people are losing motivation.
    I think one of the best examples of this situation is how the higher ranked users of the VGC room of Showdown, instead of publicizing the matches, start room tournaments and completely ignore ongoing battles, most of whom even took part of NPA.

As a solution, I'd like to suggest advertising the matches on various platforms, such as Twitter, Youtube and the VGC room of Showdown, organizing streams with the help of managers and players and bringing back NPA News. I know this may be too much to ask for just one person, but I think it's doable with enough dedication and staff. For that reason, I'm willing to volunteer to help putting to practice any and all of the aforementioned measures.

To finish off this topic, I'd like to request, if possible, to reconsider going back to playing NPA games on cart, even if only the players who can stream. I think it's very hard to focus on a Showdown match if you're not one of the players and ingame matches are way more entertaining, which could help the tournament gain more attention.

Finally, I'm sorry for the long post, but I believe many of the points I raised can be very helpful for the future of NPA.