How do you teambuild?

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by Mippy, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Mippy

Mippy New Member

I watched all VGC 2017 and I've decided to attempt to compete in VGC 18. My question is how do you personally team build? Do you build based on a concept like trick room or weather? Do you build around one Pokemon? I want to hear all about how you do it.

2. Eviltwin

Eviltwin New Member

I am new to VGC, but i will give you my casual opinion. I think that when you build a team, you should focus on the core, your winning stategy. You usually see teams go for more than one strategy to avoid being hard countered.

• Choose a winning strategy
    • Detail your every weakness, and think of how to avoid them
    • Study the meta, because disrupt your opponent winning stategy is also very important
    I think that this are the more important factors in competitive teambuilding. The rest is in game analysis, which is the most difficult part.

3. Mippy

Mippy New Member

What do you mean by winning strategy? I've been playing competitive Pokemon for years and I've heard different definitions for winning strategy.

4. ck49

ck49 Member

I've tried teambuilding by just trying to counter all the top threats, and it rarely works (at least for me). I really need to start with one or two end game strategies and then building the team around how to get that strat off regardless of what my opponent brings. An easy to see example is Sam's team from the finals. He wanted to get Xurkitree or Garchomp set up to sweep. To do that he set up tried to set up TW (or icy wind) if he couldn't get rid of faster threats, knew his calcs enough to know when aurora veil would prevent his opponent from getting KOs, etc. But at its core the goal was to end games with Garchomp or Xurkitree.

Gentlefish and Eviltwin like this.
  5. Eviltwin

Eviltwin New Member

ck49 gave you a very good example, but i will give you another simple ones:

• bellydrum snorlax
    the winning condiction is setting up snorlax, then sweep their entire teams in one hit KOs. Snorlax is very bulky, so it is almost impossible to kill when well supported. Then they may or may not have recycle, which allow him to be healing itself several times. This is the strategy, and the team is build around this.

• eve teams
    the stategy in Eve teams is to set up eve with evenium Z, and then baton pass the stats into another pokemon.

There are lots os good stategies, but none of them are invulnerable. The thing with team building is that you need to pull your strategy off, while at the same time keeping your opponent away from their strategy too. For example, lightning rod pokemons exist to disrupt tapu koko and xurkitree, because they threat Celesteela and Tapu Fini cores.

6. AtTehCross

AtTehCross Member

Team building can be difficult when first starting out. I would recommend copying a team that has done well in a big event first. You already know the team works and you just have to focus on your skills with the team.

If you are really wanting to build your own team, it's important to understand how your Pokémon each work conjunctively together. Build in such a way that they are supporting each other by covering weaknesses of another Pokémon or providing something such as speed control. Defensive synergy is very important too. Cores such as Arcanine-Tapu Fini-Kartana and Tapu Koko-Garchomp-Celesteela-Arcanine do well because they have great defensive synergy and each one can threaten a Pokémon that is strong against their partner.

Be sure to have some sort of plan for each of the most common Pokémon in the meta and practice, practice, practice. Your team will change as you play games so take notes on things you think your team needs and Pokémon/Cores you think you need to adjust or tech for.

123e45 likes this.
  7. Faybz

Faybz New Member

There are heaps of ways to go about team building. The usual way I go about it is:
    1. Decide on a core of 2 to 4 mons that I want to build around, that have good synergy (either by type, physical/special split, coverage etc).
    2. List down the top 10 or so threats in the current meta.
    3. Look at how the original core matches up against the main archetypes and teams in the meta.
    4. Add the remaining Pokemon to help out against the match ups that the first 4 mons struggle against.
    5. Test on showdown and adjust as required.

Good luck with entering VGC!

8. snooze11

snooze11 Member

When I build a serious team for competition like a regional or midseason showdown I literally will work on the team every day for at least a month, more if I have time, you can't expect to throw a team together and have it just work perfectly when you first start building, pick a team and work really really hard on that team, watch replays, write down lead combos to use against certain archetypes, and if needed switch Pokémon/ev spreads around, but don't give up on it so quickly like a lot of people do when the team isn't preforming how you want. Also don't always blame the team, a lot of the time the reason you lost was because of YOU and the choices you made so don't be hard on yourself but try to develop battle skill as much as you can to avoid simple mistakes when battling. I got a machamp to 1700+ on the showdown ladder just by playing smart so when you play smart it opens more doors for other Pokémon to fit niche roles on your teams.

Now when actually deciding what to build you can do a few things

1. Take a team someone had success with, play with it and take ideas from the team and then modify it to fit your play style and what's fun for you, people know what teams had success so by changing it slightly to be yours will through them off and make you less predictable.

2. Start from scratch, it's up to you if you want to use weather, trick room, tailwind, set up Pokémon, just strong Pokémon, ect, or a combo of two or three of these. Then start looking at every Pokémon you have one at a time, looking at type synergy with the team, effectiveness against current meta threats, adjust accordingly as you play the team.

3. (How I build) I do both 1 and 2. I pick an archetype that I want to build with that sounds fun for me then first thing I do is research as many teams as possible that has had good success with that certain archetype, then I dissect each team studying why they chose certain moves and spreads and Pokémon, after I've reaseach for a few hours I'll start building a team from scratch keeping in mind what I found while looking at other teams and then I'll work on that team and adjust it until it's how I want it to be and until I'm so familiar with the team and damage calcs I don't have any scary matchups because I can pilot the team without having to worry about what my team can do.

Sorry this was a long post it would be longer honestly because teambuilding is Much more then putting Pokémon on a team, it's ev spreads, pages and pages of damage calcs, thousands of lost games, meta calls, physical/special/support Pokémon and battle skill, it's seems daunting at first but keep trying and studying teambuilding techniques and practicing and I promise you'll get to where you want to be.

9. Milhau5

Milhau5 Member

For this meta, I look at the Pokemon in the Top 20 of usage and pick six that aren't all weak to the same thing. I only use techs if the team could greatly benefit from it or it patches up a certain hole in threat coverage (like Taunt on Tapu Koko or something like Shadow Ball Porygon2). Even a team of all standards is fine, because they're standards for a reason...they were proven to work.

Also, keep in mind with the limited amount of choice, your team will be weak to something no matter what. You could have a bad matchup against one Pokemon or a team archetype. You can't avoid it sometimes, and the onus is on you to learn how to play around it. A lot of teams from last season that have a report published have 2-4 Pokemon that are hit super-effectively by Kartana, for example.

Also, don't be afraid to use Garchomp on a team with no Levitators.

10. NightinGem

NightinGem New Member

I'm generally a new player, so take my process with a grain of salt. But I usually start with an idea--what do I want my team to do in this meta? Bulky offense? Tailwind? Trick Room? And then decide a core of two or three 'mons who fit what I want to do. I then take into account the current meta and bring in Pokémon who both synergize and take care of threats, and run techs only if it's absolutely vital not to lose to a certain matchup. I do, however, like to bring things a tad different from the norm, especially if it works in general. I'm not incredibly fantastic with EVs, so I usually run it by a few friends who are. Overall, of you have a trusted friendgroup, consulting them for help is generally a good idea.

Another thing I like doing, though it's a tad silly and probably not fantastically competitive, is taking a particular Pokémon--has to be viable, of course, but might not be incredibly standard-and building a team in which it can put in work. This is generally not the best idea and should not be used on Pokémon who are completely unviable, but I've managed to build several rather competent teams in this method.

11. WingedDragon

WingedDragon New Member

Been doing VGC for a few years and I still find Team build extremely difficult

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018