The Baloon anmed Drifblim!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hamstermania(Koutesh), Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hamstermania(Koutesh)

Hamstermania(Koutesh) Active Member

upload_2017-2-10_14-46-4.jpeg
    Ok believe or not , this baloon can do a lot of job!
    But it actually couldnt do alot until bank , because it got new move : Tailwind!
    Me and my friend MisterGX discovered this about 2 weeks ago , and we wanted to be quiet about it until US international but as its seems , world starts to know about this pokemon and starts to realize what all it can do in one single spread! well atleast until everyone starts using it , I want some credit for me and misterGX discovering this awesome spread on it! :p

Drifblim @ Psychic / Misty Seed
    Ability: Unburden
    Level: 50
    EVs: 12 HP / 236 Def / 12 SpA / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Tailwind
    - Destiny Bond / Haze / Thunderbolt / Memento / Thief / Weather Moves / Disable / Round / Minimize* / Stockpile* / Baton Pass*

This baloon has practically 100% chance to setup tailwind on turn 1 , you lead it with lele or fini to activate its seed , which not only boosts its special defence , but also doubles its speed , and with this spread , it outspeeds pheromosa after the unburden and after seed , it takes two psychics from tapu lele under psychic terrain! Also did I mentioned its 3HKOd by kartanas smart strike , not only that but it can outspeed it and burn it , making it 5HKO. The crazyness doesnt end there , this monster can 2HKO 4HP tapu lele with shadow ball! Also after the boost , even if koko switches in , LO thunderbolt is still 2HKO. Mostly you will want to run shadow ball on this , but it can run acrobatics well too! With 36 attack EVs it 2HKOs lele most of the time , also acrobatics it outspeed and OHKOs non sashed pheromosas! Last move slot on baloon is free , and you have a lot of options to chose from! just look above! Also did I mention that it completly walls high horsepower + return snorlax?

These moves can be passed down with baton pass , making it somehow more of a setup pass pokemon while still providing support it does , you have to remove one of the almost three nessery moves though , which makes to use baton pass more dificult , you can still run baton pass on its own and still pass down the +1 Sdef which is cool!

Oponents wants to kill your baloon before it can setup second Tailwind? Sure! You go for destiny bond and take him down with you! You can do this any time you want too , making up for some interesting mindgames!

Your team hates eevoboost or porygon Z conversion? You dont like facing down +2 Def lax / +2 Sdef Fini? Here is option that nulifies it all!

With this move , you can switch in more safelly , as you go for memento to drop oponents stages of attack and then you switch into your offensive pokemon , then with your ally tapu you can go for the tailwind sweep!

You hate Gyarados for some reason or want better option vs Tapu Fini? Electric move here can provide better option against them for you! You dont OHKO Gyarados though , which is kinda shame...
    12 SpA Drifblim Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 128-152 (75.2 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Interesting tech that have been found by James Beak , you can steal oponents Item with this , making for example eviolite porygon2 less deffensive!

If you dont like facing off against Sun or Rain or you want to prevent Ninetales from seting up aurora veil , you just go for Sunny Day or Rain Dance , pretty cool move to have against them and from my exprience runing sunny day , it worked well against rain teams.

This real cool move on drifblim , because thanks to unburden you can outspeed and disable scarf lele , making the slot need to switch out! This works against any choiced move really well or if you dont want oposing kartana to smart strike your lele , he just wont and he wont do anything for a whole turn!

Kind of gimmicky move on Baloon , If you want to pair it with round Drampa / Porygon Z you can , but I dont personally like this option much

The fourth move on drifblim makes it much more fun of a pokemon , as there is a lot to pick from!

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. +1 0 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim in Psychic Terrain: 99-117 (44 - 52%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. +1 0 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim: 58-70 (25.7 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 0 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim in Electric Terrain: 190-226 (84.4 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 99-117 (44 - 52%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
    252 Atk burned Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 49-58 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- 2.1% chance to 4HKO
    252+ Atk burned Gigalith Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 69-82 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
    252 Atk burned Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 41-49 (18.2 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 78-92 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 54-64 (36.9 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

224 Speed Drifblim > 223 speed Pheromosa

For me , this baloon is best tailwind setter in the format...How about you? How do you feel about baloon?
    Going to name my drifblim anmed after tipo in the name of the post :/

http://pastebin.com/ByxX05j9 spread the info about the best spread

Showdown has been fixed! good luck using drifblim!

Pain Split and Skill Swap arent avaiable , both of them are ORAS tutors!

!!!!Drifblim won Ocenia International championship HURRAY!!!!

Edit2 : Added explanation to every fourth move mentioned in the spread! Realized how many more options it has!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Pokebie

Pokebie New Member

balloon god

3. Kajashi

Kajashi New Member

I just ran into two on the ladder and was like "why does it outspeed me," but now I know.
    This set's actually crazy, I will not be surprised when it's useage spikes dramatically.

4. avdc90

avdc90 New Member

Thanks for the set information. The seems like a great idea, I wonder how much of it we'll see on showdown in the next week.

Just from a quick glance, it seems Porygon2 would give this Drifblim some trouble in the long run. Not only will it use trick room, but also the lone option to damage normal types is WoW. Also Incineroar walls most of this offensive pressure. Obviously I understand this pokemon is meant to support the rest of a team. If nothing else I suppose I'm making a case for potential teammates: things that can work in or around trick room while being able to get hard damage on things like porygon2, snorlax, and Incineroar.

But for someone that already has a good team and is looking for a guaranteed tailwind, this looks like a fantastic option!

5. EscapePlan

EscapePlan Member

I wish I didn't have to change my team every single day :)

Gentlefish likes this.
  6. Mr.GX

Mr.GX Well-Known Member

Good job, Koutesh. Yea, It was originally Koutesh who inspired me. I was stuck trying to find an ideal bulky Tailwind team, but all I had was frail Talonflame. Then Koutesh told me about Drifblim, and I decided to create a team with Koutesh, and it turned out to be extremely powerful. This could very well be the best Tailwind setter of the format. We both ran numerous calcs, and the balloon proved to be not so empty. But yea, as Koutesh said, we don't want people to simply steal the set :p

We originally planned to keep shush about it, so Koutesh could use this in the internats, but oh well. Just don't forget the dynamic duo created this explosive set :3

JediR, blubobebabi, tlyee and 2 others like this.
  7. AtmosphereVGC

AtmosphereVGC Member

Nice set! this looks like a really nice niche Tailwind mon, because of the seed and having unburden/ ghost typing. Also it is a very cool mon to consider. I like how there are so many good move options for the 4th slot *except minimize *had to say that* * One option in particular isn't mentioned here that I think deserves a mention, because it really helps your set in dealing with p2 in particular- Toxic (yes having will-o and Toxic is kinda weird, but I believe it's kinda worth on a mon like Drifblim *because seriously you aren't sticking around with this thing for very long and aren't going to get much offensive pressure out of it*) . Not 100% sold on this mon yet, but def makes sense as it's a bulkier Talon with even less ways to prevent it from getting it's Tailwind *nice Fake Out you got there* I'm going to test this for a little more later and if I have anything important, that I feel could be added I will make sure to add more insight onto this mon.

*Edit* *More things I would like to say is that it just struggles versus bulkier mons in general and doesn't appreciate Trick Room. I get all the merits it has with a better chance of tailwind, but then again Talonflame, Mandibuzz, and Whimsi are all mons that can perform the tailwind setter role in there own way and will be the better options with most teams so in closing Drifblim is just a very niche mon.*

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  8. Mindape

Mindape Active Member

Certainly has a niche over other supportive ghosts, and other tailwind users. It does have its high base hp to make up for low defensive base stats. Even with 90 base spA it does struggle for damage output outside of super effective hits when you build it bulky, so the key to using it well is to have lots offensive pressure from its partner before/once tailwind is up. Also having multiple ways to deal with trick room on a team with Drifblim in it is a good idea.

9. Swampert

Swampert New Member

This spread is awesome. Need to try it out sometime :D

10. Metal-Ace

Metal-Ace New Member

This set is interesting. As a fan of tailwind, I might consider using Drifblim on a future team.

11. RevRush

RevRush Member

This is a pretty neat set, might have to try out this deadly balloon sometime in the future!

12. Mr.GX

Mr.GX Well-Known Member

Here are some more calcs:

Defensive Calcs:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. +1 12 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim in Psychic Terrain: 190-225 (83.7 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk burned Metagross Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 12 HP / 236 Def Drifblim in Psychic Terrain: 147-174 (64.7 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 12 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim in Electric Terrain: 190-226 (83.7 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Golduck Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. +1 12 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim in Rain: 163-193 (71.8 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    +6 252+ Atk burned Snorlax Rock Slide vs. 12 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 159-188 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    -1 252+ Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 12 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 166-196 (73.1 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    244+ Atk burned Muk-Alola Knock Off vs. 12 HP / 236 Def Drifblim: 67-81 (29.5 - 35.6%) -- 24.5% chance to 3HKO
    252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. +1 12 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim: 162-192 (71.3 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 12 HP / 236 SpD Drifblim: 108-128 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

Offensive Calcs:

12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 78-92 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 100-118 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mimikyu: 84-98 (51.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 92-110 (49.1 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
    12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pheromosa: 90-106 (61.6 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
    12 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 108-128 (80 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

#Bolded calcs are important

From this, we draw the conclusion 12 HP / 236 Def gives a guarantees Drifblim survives LO Tapu Koko Thunderbolt. And thus, we have decided to invest 12 HP EVs (taken from the Sp Atk stat since it wont affect the balloon much anyways). Courtesy of Koutesh and Mr.GX ;)

JediR, blubobebabi, Metal-Ace and 4 others like this.
  13. Nazara

Nazara Member

I strongly believe that this Pokemon will make a impactful appearance very soon after seeing it in action first-hand. Very difficult to deal with, especially if one does not have a structured plan before the match even begins. The fact that very few things can hit it for significant damage after the SpD boost, the fact Lele can conver most of its forthcomings such as Koko and the very few Weavilles with a Psychic and Moonblast respectively as well protecting said Tapu from its own major threats makes it even more of a powerful presence in the field.

JediR likes this.
  14. coolerdynastic

coolerdynastic New Member

Note: Dont use Will O Wisp when paired with Fini because of Misty Terrain unless you wanna burn stuff like Gyarados, regardless the set is cool

15. banana_bob

banana_bob New Member

learned that lesson view days ago, i was also pretty amazed that driftlim also survive hydropump from golduck (in rain).

16. Gentlefish

Gentlefish Member

As you know, I'm super excited to give this set a go. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (Redirection? Protect?), but wouldn't it be worth noting that Drifblim gets Clear Smog as an egg move? Using that over Haze would allow you to run CM Fini or similar without any conflict.

17. Formidable

Formidable New Member

Driflim got me to 1800+ on the ladder it has potential for sure. thanks to mister gx for passing me the set you have been a big help.

JediR likes this.
  18. JediR

JediR Member

Drifblim is an awesome Pokémon, got me to 1550 on ladder (I know that's not great, but an achievement for me), and I plan to keep using it for the foreseeable future, and hopefully more people will see the light...

19. anti spiral

anti spiral Member

It's certainly rising in usage from my experience. We'll probably start seeing more Snorlax running Crunch because of it.

20. Hamstermania(Koutesh)

Hamstermania(Koutesh) Active Member

There were 4 driblims in top 16 of regional
    One of the teams was copy of my and Mr.GX team
    My job is done :)

blubobebabi and JediR like this.